Need a project for that dead Xbox 360?Â Check out this detailed Xbox 360 mod which converts the console into a functional PC. Give it a new identity â€“ the Xbox 360 PC.Â If you are wondering about the specs that was pushed inside the small case of an Xbox 360, here they are:
- 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 HT (upgraded from 2.26GHz P4 at start of mod)
- 512MB RAM
- 60GB 4200rpm SATA HDD
- DVD-ROM, CD-RW
- 8x USB 2.0 ports
- Integrated Intel graphics
The main challenge with an Xbox to PC mod is fitting everything inside the cramped space of an Xbox 360. The CPU and the power supply have different sizes and line up differently. Innovation is the name of the game as electric0ant shows through careful planning and his project illustrations. Check out a few below. The complete step by step is given on his project page.
Step by Step:
- The project is born from a faulty Xbox 360 scrapped for the outer case.Â Below is fitting the motherboard inside is the first test.
- Installing Windows XP. In the final mod XP is exchanged for OS X.
- Fitting the heatsink (taken from a dead P4 laptop) vertically.
- Wiring up the power supply to the Xbox 360.
The Final Results:
The well illustrated project gives you the headsup about the pitfalls. Maybe you can work your way through it with your own take on it. Let us know what you would do differently if you managed to find yourself a spare Xbox 360 lying around.
Check out some Xbox 360 case mods we’ve covered in the past.