My XBOX DVD drive was slowly going bad, so I decided to replace it. Figured it would give me something to do while I search for a 360.
- Open the case
There are 6 #20 Torx screws on the bottom of the case. Each is hidden under stickers or the padded feet on the case.
- Take out the old drive
- To remove the old drive, simply remove 2 #10 Torx screws from the plastic bracket attached to the DVD drive.
- Then, push in the plastic tab (noted above) and gently pull up on the drive.
- The drive is connected to the XBOX with an IDE cable and a power cable. Disconnect both.
- Remove old drive faceplate and place on new drive
The XBOX DVD drives have a plastic faceplate. You will need to
remove the faceplate from the old drive by pulling out slightly
then up. The process for adding the faceplate to the new drive is
- Slide the faceplate down from the top of the drive door
- Place new drive in the case
Adding the new drive is the same as removing the old drive… but
- Attach the IDE and power cables securely, then slip
the drive into place
You should hear a click when the bracket
snaps into place.
- Reattach the 2 #10 Torx screws to secure the drive
- Close the case
- Reattach all 6 screws in the case and the rubber feet and you’re