Dark_Alex and Mathieulh have released a new downgrader for PSPs with 2.71 firmware
thats only possible due to the recent Tiff Exploit that was found. Once you run and
are successful your PSP will be a homebrew friendly v1.5 PSP which can play all
Homebrew, Emulators and even the Devhook UMD loader so you’ll still be able to play
2.71 games on your v1.5 PSP. All PSP users owe thanks to Bigbird for sacrificing 3
psps, and also to Xairu, wakAwooki (UP chip) and Joshrulez2 (bricked) as well as
others for risking their PSPs.
Check out the Video Here – http://youtube.com/watchv=nbdXM-qctZc
This isnt the first Downgrader for the PSP, Dark_Alex, Yoshihiro and Mathieulh
released the 2.5/2.6 Downdater on July 2nd 2006, and before that was the V2.0 to V1.5
Downgrader which was released back in 2005. Theres also a V1.5 to V1.0 downgrader
whch was released July 6th this year.
Every PSP has a firmware, if your playing the latest PSP games then most likely you
have a PSP 2.71 and if your unlucky the PSP 2.80 firmware. Now for those that dont
know the best firmware for homebrew and much more is V1.5 Firmware. All the
downgraders can make your machine go back to that firmware so you can enjoy the many
thousands of games released for homebrew.
Heres the Release Info
2.71 Downdater by Dark_AleX/Mathieulh/Yoshi
This software is free, unlicensed and comes with no warranty. Despite it has been
tested and it has worked, a program that rewrites a big part of the flash(flash0) is
always dangerous. You are the only responsable of whatever happens to your psp using
this unlicensed program.
This program requires that someone with a 1.50 runs a little program and send you
the output so
you can init the downdate process. (by legal reasons i cannot provide those files
directly, that’s why this is needed).
The 1.50 program is TOTALLY safe, it only dumps the flash of a 1.50 user and it
also extracts some special prx’s found in the 1.50 updater.
The downdater directory outputted is exactly the same than the created by the
IMPORTANT NOTE: TA-082 users, this doesn’t work on these psp’s. DO NOT RUN IT.
Instruction for the 1.50 user
1) Copy the folders downhelper and downhelper% from the folder 1.50 HELPER folder to
/PSP/GAME/ in your memstick.
2) Obtain the 1.50 updater and put it in /PSP/GAME/UPDATE in your memstick.
Some download links for it:
3) Init the downhelper program.
It will dump your flash and some files from the updater eboot to the memstick.
4) After that, the program will exit. You can now delete the updater from
5) You’ll notice that you have a new folder in the root of your memstick called
That’s the folder you’ll have to send to a 2.71 to let him use the downdater.
Instructions for the 2.71 user
1) Copy the files inside MS_ROOT to the root of your memory stick.
2) Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to
the root of your memstick.
3) It is recomended that you have the psp at more than 50% batteery and connected
4) Go to the xmb photo viewer.
At this point will one of the following things:
a) You’ll see a full red screen. This indicates that the downdater is doing its job.
Wait for it to finish. When it finish it will crash on purpose. Restart your psp
and you’ll probably have a 1.50 if nothing went wrong.
b) You don’t see the red screen. This indicates that the downdater code has not
to execute. (even if the memstick blinks(or no), it doesn’t matter! if the screen
is not red, you can safely restart
the psp at this point).
This happen because of inestability in the tiff.
Don’t worry, just restart the psp and keep trying until you reach the red screen
The downdater code is NEVER executed partially. It’s either executed totally or
It depends of “luck” but usually the downdater will start to execute in a average
of 1/10 times.
Things that may increase the probabilities:
- A fresh formatted memory stick.
- A 32 MB memory stick (and fresh formatted)
Many thanks to:
- People that found and exploited the tif bug: Nopx86, psp250, Skylark, Joek2100,
CSwindle, JimP and Fanjita
- hitchhikr for finding the kernel exploit.
- All people that tested code and supported us: jpeg (the first in downgrade!),
nopx86, [Having], tyranog, joshrulez and probably more people that i forgot.
- tesuhack for lying in one test making me loose time and reach incorrect conclusions
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Even though this has been tested there is still the possibility
it may damage your PSP. We advise you to follow the steps carefully and cautiously.
We are in no way responsible for bricked PSP’s.
With that said,
Download and Give Feedback Via Comments