Within within 24 hours after launch, the the iPhone Dev Team (a group of hackers which works to jailbreak Apple products) released a preliminary jailbreak video. Since then, they’ve released a dirt simple way to jailbreak your iPad called Spirit. But why would you want to jailbreak the iPad? We’ll tell you:
How to Jailbreak the iPad:
When you jailbreak the device, you can run apps that haven’t been approved by Apple.
- Download the Spirit Jailbreak Tool (available for both Mac and Windows)
- Jailbreaking the iPad with Spirit is a simple process and takes under 30 seconds.
- Once it’s jailbroken, you’ll run an app called Cydia, a directory of powerful applications.
- If everything goes horribly wrong, there is an undo button to restore your iPad to it’s previous state.
Benefits of Jailbreaking:
- Tethering – Connect your laptop to the internet through your phone.
- Multitasking – Run multiple apps at the same time
- VOIP over 3G – Free/cheap calls on services like Skype
- Console Emulators – Play games from old consoles like the NES, Gameboy, SNES, Nintendo 64, etc.
But remember that Spirit allows you to download and run non-iTunes third party apps; it doesn’t unlock the iPad to function on other carriers networks. For full details, check out the detailed jailbreaking tutorial.