Twitter has become one of the most popular social media sites, but its uses extend far beyond the world of the internet. By, interfacing physical hardware with Twitter these projects have created fantastic hacks allowing electronics to react to Twitter updates.
- Twitter Burglar Alarm -This device sends an SMS to your phone whenever an intruder is detected in your house. It also updates your twitter account, which is perfect for any less urgent messages. With this system you will never fear burglary again! Although it is slightly expensive to set up, when compared to a professional security system it is extremely cheap.
- Plants that Tell Your When they need Water – Featured in our Top 40 Arduino projects, this device updates your twitter account whenever your plants are low on water. It can also send the updates to your cell phone. You need some kind of mechanical experience to assemble this however, as it includes a fair amount of soldering.
- Washing Machine that sends Updates -A washing machine that tells you when its done. Perfect for a busy student or any who get distracted easily. You can see the Twitter messages displayed here – ‘A load of laundry finished washing”
- Twittering Teddy Bear – I can see this Teddy Bear being used for many prank purposes. Think about it – a teddy bear that repeats your friends Twitter updates. Hiding this in a friends room, and then sending disturbing messages…With the text-to-speech system you can get your teddy to be quite evil.
- Automate your home – You can set up your laptop and connect it to your light switches (or any other electrical device) and control the device by sending text messages to your twitter account. See also our home automation tutorial.